Saturday, February 20, 2010

Reflections from a new mariner




Island of the whales, Azores the volcanic island of beauty. Here I completed my first Atlantic crossing on a sailboat. Now most of our great crew from Bermuda has left, and only three crew members are left. This was an exciting journey, filled with discovery. Many stories and experiences of my boat watch crew still sit on the forefront of my memories. I’ve learned so much about the major environmental problems us humans create in an effort to destroy our selves and the planet we inhabit. This has been a life changing trip for me; I learned many life lessons that I take to heart.

Our relaxing exploration of the Azores was short lived, as when the new crew Dale and Tom arrived and boat work began. The maintenance to make the boat perfect before the new captain arrived began. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I will admit my first time seeing snow couldn’t have been better than seeing snow on top of the neighboring volcanic island of Pico.

This trip has provided a lot of firsts for me. First time: sailing, crossing the Atlantic on a boat, seeing snow, traveling alone, learning about plastic in the ocean, etc. I’ll never forget what I have seen or learned, and I hope that someday I can impart my knowledge to the future generations.

On a lighter note after 2 days of work and some time at the shop we got the CO2 sensor installed and working. We are currently working on calibration and testing. This unit will be an important new research contribution for Sea Dragon. Collaborating with NOAA, this will hopefully help pave the way for more such sensors on private yachts. Sunburst Sensors in Missoula Montana is working closely with us on the unit. We are currently in a holding pattern, waiting for a new, major low pressure system to clear out. Our plan is to head out on 23 February - straight south!

Elton Joseph

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home